Rhode Island Workers' Compensation .org

       Call us at (401) 415-6136 to answer your Workers Compensations questions.





Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is workers' compensation?

A. If you are hurt or become sick because of your job, your employer's insurance is required by law to pay your  workers' compensation benefits. You could get hurt by:

One event at work, such as hurting your back in a fall, getting burned by a chemical that splashes on your skin or getting hurt in a car accident while making deliveries.
Repeated exposures at work, such as hurting your wrist from doing the same motion over and over or (wrist injuries from typing, your hearing because of constant loud noise, etc.)

Q. What are the benefits?

A. Workers' compensation insurance provides  basic benefits:

Temporary payment benefits: Payments if you lose wages because your injury prevents you from doing your usual job while recovering.

Medical care: Paid for by your employer to help you recover from an injury or illness caused by work.


Q. The Rhode Island Workers' Compensation system seems very confusing. Should I get an attorney?

A. Call us first, that's what we are here for. If you work at a job here in Rhode Island, our organization will see that you may consult  with  legal representation (at no cost to yourself). You're not required to have an attorney, even if you have a disagreement with the claims administrator. However, if you have questions, we will provide one for your assistance.

 Q. I'm having a problem getting my benefits. What resources are available to me?

A. Again, that why we are here. We have local Rhode Island Workers' Compensation Representatives who are a great resource and their services are free. They are here to act on your behalf as an attorney would, and they'll help you understand how to act on your own behalf. You can also make an appointment with one of our member attorneys and speak to them privately at your convenience.

Q. What should I do if I have a work injury?

A. First, report the injury to your employer by telling your supervisor right away. If your injury or illness developed over time, report it as soon as you learn or believe it was caused by your job.

Reporting promptly helps prevent problems and delays in receiving benefits.

Next, get emergency treatment if you need it. Tell the health care provider who treats you that your injury or illness is job-related.

Then, contact us!  

We will help answer any questions you have, at no cost to you. .

 Q. Besides workers' compensation benefits, can I get any other financial assistance?

A. Yes. Other benefits may be available. These include:

Q. Who decides what type of work I can do while recovering?

A. Your treating doctor is responsible for explaining in a medical report:

         The kind of work you can and can't do while recovering
 The changes needed in your work schedule or assignments.

You, your treating doctor, your employer and your attorney should review your job description and discuss the changes needed in your job. For example, your employer might give you a reduced work schedule or have you spend less time on certain tasks.


Q. What is the time limit for filing a Petition for Benefits?

A. In general, there is a two (2) year period to file a Petition.


Q. What if I don't fully recover?

A. Your treating doctor may determine that you will never be able to return to the same job and working conditions you had before you were injured. The doctor should report this in writing. The report should include permanent work restrictions to protect you from further injury.


Q. Do I have to pay any of my medical bills?

A. No, all authorized medical bills should be submitted by the medical provider to your employer's insurance company for payment.


Q. How much will I be paid?

A. In most cases, your benefit checkwill be aprroximately 60 percent of your average weekly wage. If you were injured on or after October 1, 2003, your average weekly wage is calculated using wages earned 13 weeks prior to your injury, not counting the week in which you were injured.

In addition, if you worked less than 75% of the 13 week period, a similar employee in the same employment who has worked 75% of the 13-week period or your full time weekly wage shall be used.


Q. Do I have to pay income tax on this money?

A. No. However, if you go back to work on light or limited duty and are still under the care of the authorized doctor, you will pay taxes on any wages earned while working.


Q. If I'm only temporarily disabled, how long can I get these checks?

A. You can receive Temporary Partial Disability payments  during the continuance of your disability for no more than a maximum of 312 weeks.









Helpful Links & Forms

Begin Claim Process Online

Contact Us / Ask a Question

DWC_01 Employer's First Report

DWC_02 Memorandum of Agreement

DWC_03 Wage Statement Full-Time

DWC_03P Wage Statement Part-Time

DWC_03S Wage Statement Seasonal

DWC_04 Employees' Certificate

DWC_05 Suspension Agreement

DWC_20 Non-Prejudicial Agreement

DWC_22 Report of Indemnity Payment

DWC_24 Mutual Agreement

DWC_25 Report of Earnings

DWC_30 Wage Transcript

DWC_31 Employee's Objection

DWC_32 Notice to Employee 

DWC_50 Itemized Statement

DWC_51 Report of Specific Payment

Petition Coversheet

Original Petition

Employee's Petition To Review 

Employer's Petition to Review

Petition for Payment for Medical Services

Request For Major Surgery

Claim For Trial 

Appeal to the Appellate Division


Settlement Worksheet

Petition for Deceased Employee Benefits


2016 Rhode Island Workers Compensation Organization All Rights Reserved.                                                      

                 Rhode Island Workers Compensation